Saturday, October 24, 2015

The Good Shepherd leads his flock

I write this from O Pino, only 19 K from Santiago de Compostela.  Tomorrow we arrive!  After nine days of strenuous hiking it will be good to arrive and greet the relics of St. James the Apostle.  Daylight Saving Time ends tonight in Spain, so we get an extra hour of sleep for the last push.  Today was a hard day of hiking; we did 17.5 miles, some in the rain.  But every step of the way is a grace and a prayer.  As I passed a flock of sheep yesterday on the trail, I called out to them to see if they would respond to my voice.  They didn't.  They didn't know my voice.  I'm sure if their shepherd called them they would respond.  I'm trying to hear better the voice of Jesus, the Good Shepherd, as I walk this Camino.  Sometimes I speak to my companion, Mike, along the way, or to other pilgrims.  But much of the walk is done in silence.  I try to focus on the voice of Jesus, who is the Way.  I hope that this experience has attuned my heart more closely to the Heart of Jesus.  I have so much joy as I meet other pilgrims who are growing closer to Jesus along this Camino.  Jesus is the Way, and Jesus leads us to the only way that gives life, peace and joy.  Here are some photos of sights along the Camino.









1 comment:

  1. Hello Father! Happy Priesthood Sunday! I hope you are getting some good rest today and are feeling blessed. I miss you! Emma is nervous as she prepares for first reconciliation. She asked me when you would home, hoping that she could come to you. Sweet huh? Last night, she asked me, "what do you do if you forget something in confession?" I said, "well, you are still forgiven and if it's really really bad, you confess it next time." She looked at me, wide-eyed... "Next time?? We go more than once?!"

    Praying for you and looking forward to your return. God bless you. ♡Kathleen

    ReplyDelete