Sunday, December 6, 2015

St. John the Baptist, the Visitation

Ein Karem today is a suburb of Jerusalem.  But in the days of Elizabeth and Zechariah, it was a small town in the hills a few miles from the temple in Jerusalem, where Zechariah served as a priest.  It is where St. John the Baptist was born and brought up by his parents, Elizabeth and Zechariah.  It is also the site of the Visitation of Mary and Elizabeth.  I spent a beautiful, sunny day praying there at the two churches in close proximity - the Church of St. John the Baptist, and the Church of the Visitation.  I venerated the spot where St. John was born, and prayed in the church for our parish of St. John the Baptist and all of our parishioners.  Then I walked up the hill to the Church of the Visitation, past the well where Elizabeth met Mary.  I viewed my favorite sculpture of the Visitation - the one that served as the model for the sculpture of the Visitation in the St. John's Rectory courtyard, sculpted by Bethany Lee and donated by the funeral luncheon committee.  I prayed the Canticle of Zechariah, which was first uttered here, and is displayed in many languages in the church courtyard.  




3 comments:

  1. Thank you for your prayers. We've been praying for you also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Father, Thank you very much for celebrating mass today (12-7-15) for the intention of my family. Reading your blog and seeing the Holy Land pictures conjures up special memories of my pilgrimage. Be safe and enjoy the rest of your sabbatical. Fr. Jaspers is counting the days:) Take care, Rita Spiess

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Father. This is so cool! Thanks for mentioning the sculpture. I'm not at the monastery anymore, so I finally looked up your blog.

    ReplyDelete